Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Test Recipe Slow Cooker Orange Chicken

This week's test recipe was an effort to recreate one of Little Chief's favorite Chinese Food Noshes, Orange Chicken. He LOVES some orange chicken. However, Mama don't love the calories and fat that accompany that citrus goodness. I liked this recipe. It was so easy to throw together in the A.M. and when I got home from work, I just threw some rice in the rice cooker and we were ready to eat in 20 minutes. Next time, I would make a few changes to the recipe, mostly add some heat with crushed red pepper and would probably throw in some veggies, broccoli and water chestnuts and onion maybe. But we did veggies on the side this time. Little Chief did not like it so much. He said it was OK, but it didn't taste nothing like the orange chicken he liked. I told him it was a healthier version so it would not taste the same, but the essence should be the same. He went on to tell me "Mom, I am a connoisseur of orange chicken, I know what it should taste like". And he gave me that "Duh" look as if to say "I know everything and you know nothing". He's becoming a pro at giving me that look and he is only 10 years old. Me thinks the boy needs his booty smacked, but spanking your kids went out with feathered bangs...I miss spanking....but as they say what goes around comes around and I'm just dreaming of the day that spanking becomes trendy again. But I do digress, me and Chief liked the recipe and Little Chief ate it between protests. He also added so sweetly (not) that we should keep the Jade Garden Restaurant on speed dial. He will be eating PB&J for the rest of the week, thank you very much!!!



Slow Cooker Orange Chicken

8 small boneless, skinless chicken thighs
3 Tbsp flour
1/3 cup orange marmalade
1/3 barbecue sauce
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp grated ginger root

Toss chicken with flour in slow cooker. Mix remaining ingredients and pour over chicken. Cover, cook on low for 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours. Serve with hot cooked rice.

No comments: