Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Test Recipe - Slow Cooked Tex Mex Chicken

Wow!! I have been away from the blogosphere for a while now. I promised myself to get back to blogging because I really do love it. However, something always seems to get in the way. But here I go getting back up on the bike. :) I will start my "back to blogging" with a recipe that I tried this week. I like to try to introduce at least one new test recipe to my family each week and see if it will be a hit or a miss. This recipe was a hit. It was easy and inexpensive to prepare. However, it does have some spice to it, which my family loves, but if yours is sensitive to spicy heat, cut down on the chilis and use a mild salsa. And true to form, I forgot to take photos, but I'll get back into the swing of that too. Enjoy!

Slow Cooked Tex Mex Chicken
Serves 4

1 cup dried pinto beans, rinsed
1 jar (11 oz) mild or medium salsa (1 1/2 cups)
2 T chopped canned chipolte chilis in adobo sauce (mexican food isle)
2 T all-purpose flour
1 cup water
1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 8)
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 medium red onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
Sour cream and fresh cilantro for serving (optional)

Directions: In a 5-6 quart slow cooker, stir together beans, salsa, chilis, flour and 1 cup water. Season chicken with salt and pepper; arrange on top of bean mixture. Scatter onion and bell pepper on top of chicken. Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours (do not open lid or stir). Remove chicken from stew; shred into large pieces and return to stew. Serve topped with sour cream and cilantro.

No comments: