Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Shout Out to SAHMs, You Rock!

Can I just say that quitting my job and staying home before the upcoming move has been somewhat challenging. My schedule used to go something like this:

5:30 a.m. – Wake up, drink coffee and water, take meds, get shower, put on make up.
5:45 a.m. – Make breakfasts, lunches and partially prepare the evening meal.
6:00 a.m. – Get dressed (clothes I laid out the night before). Clothes are also laid out for Little Chief. Code-Man is the summer child care.
6:15 a.m. – Leave for work.
6:30 a.m.- Arrive at work.
Work Blog the first half of the day.
11:30 a.m. – Go home for lunch to check on Little Chief and Code-Man, have lunch together and listen to a laundry list of complaints from my children about who did what to whom. Do some more prep work for dinner.
12:30 p.m. – Back to work.
3:30 p.m. – Work is over. Stop at the grocery store if necessary. Run any other small errands that I couldn’t do at lunchtime.
4:30 p.m. – Change clothes, begin dinner prep, listen to more bickering from the Brotherly Love Muffins, threaten to beat BLMs to within an inch of their lives, Pour large glass of wine. Finish cooking dinner.
5:00 p.m – Welcome home my Chief and hear about his day at work. The BLMs stop bickering in the kitchen and disappear to watch TV, play video games or read and leave me in peace. Hmmmmm…..must have been the presence of the miraculous man of the house.
5:30 p.m. – Eat dinner as a family. Hear encouraging comments like, ma, you look tired, or what is this we’re eating? I need money for new video game, clothes…feel free to insert any material object, because I assure you, it is needed. Drink more wine.
5:45 – p.m. Clean up kitchen from a dinner that took 1 hour to prepare (with interruptions) and approximately 7 minutes and 12 seconds to be consumed.
6:30 p.m. – Sit down to watch the nightly news and Jeopardy. Discuss any important events in the lives of my family that require action by ME.
7:30 p.m.- Probably nodding off on the couch as kids get cleaned up for the night, oh, and bicker, fight and complain about who is going first or last or not at all. Headache is coming on, wishing I hadn’t polished off the bottle of wine at dinner.
8:00 p.m. – Reading to Little Chief as Chief skillfully operates the remote from his recliner – feel like I have ADD from the dizzying pace at which he is flipping channels – Headache full tilt – thinking lovingly about chocolate.
9:30 p.m.– Head to my bedroom to read and collect my to-do list for tomorrow.
10:00 p.m. – Drooling on my pillow.

Now being a SAHM for only a few days the schedule is something like this:

8:00 a.m.– Wake up and drink a whole pot of coffee, pour cereal for kiddos.
10:00 a.m – Enter the Blogosphere.
12:00 p.m. – Prepare lunch, watch TV, clean a little, check computer.
2:00 p.m. – Take a nap (still in PJs)
4:00 p.m. – Brush teeth, take shower (before Chief comes home).
5:00 p.m. - Order Pizza for dinner.
6:00 p.m. – Watch a marathon of movies with the kids.
12:00p.m. - Read and go to sleep.

Where did that well-oiled machine go? I’m completely undisciplined!!! I'm sure I'll get the hang of it, but I admire the SAHMs out there who actually accomplish things on a daily basis - you definitely ROCK!

4 comments:

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I was much more productive when I had a business. And, being the queen of procrastination, doing what I am supposed to do doesn't always happen. And then...when you add blogging into that mix...it's all gone to pot...

Sowellct said...

It is not my fault we bicker its LC fault for not being as smart as me. I know hes only 7 but still.

Lula! said...

Admitting to being in your pj's and unshowered at 4 pm is why I like you. 'Cause this is my life. Only today I shed the pj's at 4:30. Still haven't showered, though. But man, my house is clean. That's gotta count for something!

Unknown said...

Yeah, I get absolutely nothing done. Showering is a luxury and putting on make-up...forget it. I love staying at home, but sometimes I sit back and wonder what I did all day.