Wednesday, January 7, 2009

2008 Books


Since this blog is a journal for future generations, I thought I would post here the books I read this year for posterity. I did not read as much as I usually do this year, partly because of this lovely blog and partly because of our military move to Virginia Beach this past summer. Here it is:

The Namesake
Five People You Meet in Heaven
Snow Falling on Cedars
A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
On Chisel Beach
The Magician's Assistant
The Other Boylen Girl
Bel Canto
Nineteen Minutes
Traveling Mercies
Ask Again Later
A Thousand Splendid Suns
Twilight
Eclipse
New Moon
Breaking Dawn

I was disappointed with On Chisel Beach and Snow Falling On Cedars was REALLY slow! Other than that, I enjoyed each of the other reads - I really couldn't pick an absolute favorite. I think every single book, good, bad or medicore offers something we can learn from.

What about you, did you read as much as you wanted to this year? What was your favorite book? How about your least favorite? Have you read any of the books from my list?

8 comments:

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

In 2007, I read almost 300 books. But last year...with my blog. I read less than 70. Maybe it was more like 60. I'd have to count :-)

One of my favorites for the year was "The Hunger Games." Least favorite - actually there were a lot that I didn't like. But the most disappointing was "Chasing Harry Winston." I had high hopes. Because her other two books were so good (Devil wears Prada being one of them).

From your list - The Namesake was one of my favorites. I saw the movie this year - and it was a let down. Have you read any of her other books?

And Bel Canto - who knew that a hostage crisis could be so lyrical??

Can you tell that I like to read? :-)

Mama Wheaton said...

My brain waves are very short so I'm not good at remembering titles. But there was one book that stuck out and I do remember it was "The Stupidest Angel". It was very funny (dark funny). Maybe I should start making a list?

angi_b72 said...

I love to read, but lately I haven't done alot of it. I was on a Meg Cabot kick there for a bit...and Jodi Picoult!

Unknown said...

I am pretty lame... I think I read maybe 4 books this entire year.. maybe more... I loved LOVED a thousand splendid Suns...

This year, I plan on reading the books by Dr. Oz. So I can stay 26 FOREVER.. ok, if only in my mind

Kim H. said...

Kim,

Wow! Good for you - and good for you that you can remember all you've read. I'm not a reader. I have the best of intentions. I try. I start books. I don't always finish them. I think that's why I love reading blogs so much. Some days that's about all I can manage.

I did read a really good book when I visited my friend Martha in the fall - I can't remember the title, but it was about a woman who broke free from a polygamist - that big guy that got arrested for all the many, many kids a while back. Oh, what the heck was his name?....

At any rate, it was good - very fascinating and captivating. This woman's story was amazing. I did start The Other Boleyn Girl but got about half way through. Yep, that's what I do. :(

Thanks for your kind comments this week. I'm slowly on the mend. I started coughing again a lot yesterday which has me a bit worried, as I just finished my last antibiotic last night. We'll see what the Dr. says on Friday when I go back for my follow-up.

Hugs and prayers -
k.

Tiffany said...

One of my goals is to keep better track of the books I read!

Unknown said...

I have been terrible reading books this year. I bought a Kindle and thought I would read all the time but still have no time to read. I need to work on that. Thank you for your recommendations. You have inspired me.

Asphodel said...

Nice collection there!
Some I've read, and some now listed! :-)