Friday, June 27, 2008

Friday's Fabulous Five

Today I am featuring 5 of the books I have enjoyed the most so far this year:



OMGoodness, if you need a beach read and you like humor - this is the book for you. Sometimes between "heavy" reads I need a little lite fare to keep me from become depressed. This book made me laugh so hard I had tears running down my face and my family thinking I was nuts. Please give it a look see - you will NOT be disappointed.



This is an older book and I have had it on my shelf forever. I actually just finished it last night. It was a peek into the true story of the Anne Lamott and her struggles with alcohol, bulimia, being a single mom and growing up with atheist parents. The book is about her search for faith and God - and her finding both. She is honest and true and I found it inspirational.



I was so blown away by "The Kite Runner", I could not wait to read Hosseini's newest book. As is sometimes the case the follow up to a blockbuster book does not always live up to the author's first attempt, but this time it did. I loved this book and the glimpse into the life of another woman in another country. Superb!



This book clutched my heart. It is the story of a school shooting, but it makes you feel what it was like for the shooter, the victims and all involved. Picoult is one of my favorite contemporary writers.



Geek Love is a book people tend to love or hate. I am in the love category. To gank a phrase from the SITStas it was pure crackliture - impossible to put down. It is about a family that lives a circus life and the father gives his wife all kinds of concoctions to intentionally produce deformed offspring in an effort to create his own group of circus freaks. It sounds so distasteful, but I found such an affection for the lead character one of his "freakish" children. It is so worth the read.

If you have read any of these books, please let's discuss. If you have not and need some encouragement to do so - here it is!! Happy Reading!

3 comments:

John Deere Mom said...

Thanks for the list! You've added some books to my summer reading list. I love Jodi Picoult. I just finished her Picture Perfect. It was great! Now I am reading a Jennifer Weiner book (Certain Girls.) Love her!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

You are the first person I have ever "found" that has read "Geek Love." I think I loved and hated that book. And it was so interesting...and crazy...and gross...and amazingly poetic.

I have read all on your list except "Thousand Splendid Suns" - but it's in my pile to be read...

KimmyJ said...

Kat - you will not be disappointed in A Thousand Splendid Suns. Did you read Kite Runner? Geek Love was exactly like you explained!!