Tuesday, June 17, 2008

House Hunting

Well, Chief set out for Virginia Beach yesterday armed with over 30 houses that I chose virtually as possibilities for our future home. Why is he going instead of me, you might ask? Well, the Navy gives him 10 days of house hunting leave to go and look around and I have to stay here and work. Since I will be unemployed beginning July 1st, I better make money while I can. Now, I feel the need to vent a little here - we serve our country as an active duty military family. We made the choice, I'm not complaining and I'm proud to do my part. BUT when we have to relocate every three years, pull our children out of schools they have just settled in to, find a new home, new doctor, dentist, hairdresser, nail shop....you get the idea...and for me a new job...it can be overwhelming. I believe that if a military spouse has a proven track record of employment of at least a year, they should, at the very least, be eligible to collect unemployment for a few months until they are settled and are able to begin the job search again in ernest. I am not quitting my job because I'm lazy or bored or sick of it (which I admit I am), I am quitting my job to relocate on orders of the United States Government. I don't want to be worried about making ends meet while we are packing, unpacking, sweating, searching and praying that we picked a good school district. I feel guilty about quitting on July 1st when we pack out on July 15th, but I need those 2 weeks to get ready to pack everything we own living and non-living and haul it off to a place we haven't even secured yet. Wow, sorry, I am really venting here. I didn't realize I had so much pent up emotion on this topic. And did I mention that Chief is picking out our new digs......now that should really strike terror in my decorating heart. I might be blogging about 2000 square feet of garage with no closet space...stay tuned.

5 comments:

Heather said...

Hang in there!! I'm sure the Chief will do a great job picking out that 2000 sq. foot garage.

One- said...

Military life isn't easy, I'm sure. But us civilians thank you! My bestest friends hubby is in the airforce. They moved away from Las Vegas many years ago. I miss them so. Would love to see pictures!

Tiffany said...

Moving.. ugh. We've done is 5 times in the past 7 years.. and I can't even use the military as my reason.

The worst is finding a new Pediatrician.

You will totally be fine and a new house to decorate? Sign me up!

Wanda said...

It will all work out. Trust me. :) From one military spouse to another. Just remember to breathe.

Connie said...

You give that man a big hug and smoochie from us - retired USMC family!!! He's our hero and I know what it's like to be dragged around the globe because my father was Navy also. It's hard but it's easy, sweet chick!! You have our admiration and prayers every single day!!! And the side benefit is when you retire, your medical is almost NOTHING!!!!! Yeaaaaa!!!!!! Oh, glad you signed up for the giveaway, my sweet little bird!!
Smoochies,
Connie